Thursday, May 15, 2008

Back from the cruise that almost never was...

So we are finally home for our extended vacation, it was so, so, so much fun. It was so hard to go back to work this week but the weather here is finally warm so that makes it better. We started off our trip by spending the weekend in California with my brother Stephen's family. It was Abby's birthday party on Saturday, a very Dora themed party. It was really fun and perfect weather. She had a BBQ and very yummy Dora cake with strawberries. Aaron and I got her a little swimming pool for her back yard, which while it was the only non-Dora present, was a big hit. Here are some pictures from the big day.

So as you can see, its all smiles in the these pictures because this is before Sunday, which was supposed to be our cruise day. So even though Aaron doesn't want me to tell people this, I'm sure SOME day (not today) we'll look back on it and laugh so I wanted to document it. :) So....all along the cruise people tell us be at the ship at 4, be at the ship at 4, it leaves at 5. So we take it kind of as a suggestion, like when the airlines say be at the airport an hour early. I checked in online so it said we would have a speedier entrance onto the ship. Well we leave my brother's house on Sunday afternoon pretty casually planning on arriving at the boat by 4 but it takes a little longer than expected and we get there right after 4. Big Mistake. We get to the gate and the guard tells us we can't get on the ship anymore. Panic sets in, but its right there just sitting there. Well its too late, I guess with coastguard rules they have to put in a ship count one hour before sailing time. I called everyone at that stupid cruise place to no avail. No one could help. It was a nightmare. The be there at 4 was not a suggestion. So I'm on the phone crying to the people and it comes down to 2 options, fly to Cabo San Lucas and meet the ship there or do nothing and get no refund (that's right, no refund, nothing, at this point I'm completely and totally regretting my decision to not purchase that stupid travel insurance). So we're struck we have to buy the tickets to Cabo. I'm thinking of the cost of last minute tickets to Mexico, freaking out, but one way tickets from LA to Cabo were suprisingly only $89 each. So we took Aaron's graduation present, bought the tickets, and left the next morning on the first flight out. It was crazy but actually we ended up having a blast with 2 days in Cabo and then the next day got on the ship 3 hours before it left Cabo and made sure we were back early every port after that. :) Many, many stories and pictures to follow!!

Oh and I came home to 3, that's right, 3 of my best friends having babies. Congratulations - Mandy, Rebecca, and Ambyr. I can't wait to see them all!!

6 comments:

carly said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! Haley, I would have died. Way to deal with crisis! I'm so glad you made it on the ship! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Rachelle said...

What a story! I can't wait to see pictures!

Remember how we both like Zupas?? We need to go sometime before you move away and I never see you again!

CK Morgan said...

I just looked at your blog to see pictures of your cruise and read your story...so glad you were able to get your tickets for cheap and enjoy the rest of your vacation. I'm sure you'll laugh about that for years to come :) -Kara

Ashley said...

Oh I'm so glad y'all were still able to go!! That happened to our family back in March, a year ago. It was horrible. My parents had laid down 10G's and they said it would be all non-refundable too...miraculously they let us on still though. I can't believe they didn't let y'all. But I'm so glad you made it in the end, cheap tickets & all!

Christy said...

Wow, that is quite the story. I can't believe they wouldn't let you on the boat. The pictures look beautiful. Do places like that really exist? I guess so.

Jen said...

I can't believe that happened to you two. (I also can't believe the cruise ship didn't offer ANY kind of compensation.)
I'm glad it all worked out. Looks like you two had a blast!