Friday, October 12, 2012

Half Marathon in Helotes

Last weekend I ran a half marathon in Helotes, just outside of San Antonio. It was a great race and although a rough, hilly course (seriously mile 12 was killer) I enjoyed the run and the weather was fabulous. After we moved here I started running on Saturday mornings (at 5 AM mind you) with two of my friends and it has been so much fun. It worked out perfectly that we were all the same pace and even though they have been running together for years, they were nice enough to let me start tagging along. They told me they were running this half and so I started training with them and was able to get in 5 solid weeks of training for the race. Well a couple of weeks before the race our friend Jamie bailed on us to run the St. George marathon that day instead so it was just me and Jeana and we had a great time. We both finished in 1:48 so we were happy with our times and felt great. It really gave us the marathon bug. :) 

Here we are at the finish line:

Some shots of the action:


Aaron and the kids and Jeana's family all came together and met us 4 times along the course, it was the the best part of the race. They had cow bells and cheered for us every time. They were the best supporters ever! Camilla cried every time I passed by and didn't stop to hold her. 


Almost home:


Finish line shots with the kids:





Some post-race bounce house action:



(My kids were so dirty by the end of this day)

Aaron was supposed to go on a consulting trek that Thursday and Friday before the race and he was getting home late Friday night and then we were just  going to leave at like 5 on Saturday morning. I was cleaning up after dinner on Thursday night and Aaron comes flying in the front door surprising us. He told me that he just felt like he needed to actually see his family and he had canceled his trip, booked a hotel with his points and we were going to leave on Friday afternoon. Yay! I so needed that. 

So we made a weekend of it, we stayed in a beautiful hotel with a heated outdoor pool. We spent the afternoon swimming and playing at the playground, then out to dinnner (who eats at a buffer the night before a race- me!) and we stayed in this fabulous suite so we just put the kids to bed, closed the doors and we had a hotel all to ourselves. It was seriously a perfect day and we all loved spending time with Aaron. MBA school has been very demanding and it was just such a great, much needed trip. 



Okay so I know I am borderline obsessed with this girl, but I just think everything she does is so adorable.







I wish we were there right now....


1 comment:

Laney said...

Very impressive. That's so perfect that your running buddies are basically the same pace as you. That hotel sounds like a blast. Very sweet (and in tune) of Aaron to change his plans for a much needed family weekend.