Monday, April 6, 2009

Attention all Bakers, please HELP!!

To all of you who are fabulous bakers and wonderful chefs, whose rolls rise and are soft and delicious, whose bread comes out smelling fabulous with just the right amount of flour, and whose cinnamon rolls have the right amount of butter - this is for you. I need help. I need a cinnamon roll recipe that will actually work. I have tried all those, no fail this always works recipes that I read on the blogs but they never, ever work for me. I need step by step instructions. None of this, around 6 cups of flour or more, but don't over flour. What?? Yesterday I tried a new cinnamon roll recipe, only to have them come out flat, unrisen, burned on the bottom, and too rich. My husband is a good sport, he loves me through it all and eats them anyways, but you must know that my mother-in-law is like the QUEEN of baking rolls and bread, she's famous for it and so I know this has been a rough transition for him. I love cinnamon rolls and we love eating them but...does anyone have a recipe that works, like everytime?? I want my cinnamon rolls to look like this:
Some people bake cinnamon rolls and they look like this, Miriam-I've had yours, yours look like this picture, I've tried the recipe 3 times and ended up throwing half of them away...sigh...

Also would anyone like to make a decision on what house Aaron and I should buy?? We have officially found 2 houses that we love. Of course, I love one more than the other and Aaron loves the other one more. But our realtor called us last night to tell us that my number one has another offer. What? Its been on the market for 3 days now, 3 measely days. So the owners have decided to give everyone else who wants to put in an offer (there are more of us who want this house? my goodness) until tonight to do so!! So I don't know what to do. Part of me says, "another will come along we don't want to be pressured to make a decision before we're ready" but the other side says, "you will compare every other house to this one what if you don't find another one you love as much." I also feel like we're losing a lot of our negotiating power but there's a reason this house is selling this fast, its just beautiful. Of course we would be moving to the one part of the country where the housing market isn't slowing down...I'm also just super anxious to find our house, move in, and begin nesting one month before Big Mac gets here. As you all can see from this post, I'm on the verge of breakdown. :)

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh I'm the same way. In fact just recently I started even baking with yeast, which scares me, and still does. NOTHING comes out good for me, it's so frustrating. I tried making Lion House rolls recently, which really turned out to be a joke. Kneading? What does that even mean? =)

Have you tried http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/cinammon_rolls_/

She offers step by step instructions....with pictures.

Good luck on the house situation! I'm just jealous you're even shopping for houses....oh one day! ;) Let us know what happens!

allirasmussen@gmail.com said...

my mom has an amazing recipe i'll get it and email it to you!

The Piersons said...

Ashley, if you only knew how many times the Lion House rolls have failed me...so...many...times.

Melissa said...

Are both of the houses in Frisco?? If so I think either one is great! :) Let me know when you are moving...I would love to help you and catch up!

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

Yeah, coming from another Pierson in-law, I don't even try. I just let him get his fix every few months when we are with family. :) I'm proud of you for trying though. Let me know if anything comes out!

As for the houses, do you have pictures? I'm so excited for you guys!

Jalei & Lane said...

I want to see a picture of both houses! I will say if you don't get your pick, don't worry. Right now you should be able to get a deal. As for the cinnamon rolls, I have a recipe that Amy swears by if you want it.

Anonymous said...

Here's my recipe:

1. Drive to the grocery store
2. Find the refridgerated roll aisle
3. Pick up 1-2 cans of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls
4. Bake according to package and enjoy

Optional: omit steps 1-4 and just go to Cinnabon

Clearly I'm a great baker :)

Kelsey Kamauu said...

I have a good one - I will have to email it to you - the rolls don't have to rise that long or maybe it is not at all - anyway it is easy :) so excited for you and your fun house options - and to see your little guy!! still think you look tiny - my arms were like two times their normal size when I was prego - yes, very sad - you look fabulous! :)

Miriam said...

Oh, Haley. I've definitely had my share of yeasty failures... but here's the "tips" that seem to help: sift your flour. I don't know why, but it really seems to make everything lighter. And when it says 3 1/2 cups flour, try 3 first, and then slowly add the last bit until it feels like it's staying together, but it will STILL be sticky. They key is to keep your hands super flour-y so that you can knead it without it sticking all over your hands. It still does a bit, but I've found that with flour, less is more.
I don't know though, sometimes they turn out for me, and sometimes they don't. Just love the dough. Become one with it.
And PS. YEAH. SOOO jealous that you guys are house hunting. I think I've said this before, but I feel like that time in my life will never ACTUALLY come. Ojala...

Pierce and Stacy said...

http://elizabethbryant.blogspot.com/

She just posted recently on cinnamon rolls!

Anonymous said...

i have an easy recipe. It turned out my very first time making them. Super easy and very delicious. E-mail me and let me know if you are still interested and I'll type it up for you!