Thursday, October 27, 2016

Ragnar

So a few months ago our friends decided to put together a team for Ragnar this year in Austin. Somehow Aaron convinced me to do it. (You read that right, Aaron had to convince me to do a running race. Not because I didn't think it would be fun I just wasn't sure about leaving our kids, running on trails, and cost, etc.) But I am so glad we decided to do it! Training through the summer wasn't super fun and very hot. We would come home from runs and jump straight into the pool but weather ended up being gorgeous for the race so we really lucked out. This is a trail Ragnar so that means we camp out instead of drive around in a bus and start and end all of our runs at the same spot. 

My sister took on our 3 oldest kiddos. She was a gem and threw a small birthday party for Brookey. They loved their cupcakes. 


Spencer came with us. He was a trooper as it got super cold at night, we slept in a tent and he pretty much had no schedule (which meant there was a lot of nursing). This was after our first legs. Aaron ran 8 first and I ran 3 miles first. He rocked it, he was nervous about that run but he did awesome. Then we had the most amazing gyros for dinner. We still talk about those. :)


It was a rough night. We didn't get much sleep and poor spencer was so cold. We finally had to sandwich him between us and keep a big fleece blanket over everyone's heads to trap in the warmth to keep him warm and let him get some sleep. Our middle of the night legs were 5 miles for Aaron and 8 for me. This run was my absolute favorite. It was a gorgeous night, I just loved being out there running in the dark, seeing the stars and the trail was fabulous. 

We were up early so we decided to take Spencer down by the fire to keep him warm until our early morning legs. 


Aaron head out for his 3 miler!! He did it, 15 miles, he's amazing. Then passed off to me for my sunrise 5 mile run. It was the toughest run for sure but it was still beautiful and fun. 

Spencer was a big hit with everyone at the fire. Poor guy was so worn out though and fell asleep in Aaron's arms. 



Here is our team. We sure had a blast together. Our team name was Hopdizzle fo shizzle. Because well we all love Hopdoddy's. :) Everyone did great and I hope we all come back next year. I haven't run a race with Jamie and Jeana since Boston 2014! 


My favorite team. 


This is my favorite picture from the race. We are cheering Jeana in from her first leg. This is just how I remember the race, everyone having fun, gorgeous sun and lots of running. 


After all the packing...and packing... finally it was time to head home. We stopped on the way to eat dinner at Hopdoddy's of course where I had a burger with all the toppings, large fries and a Nutella milkshake. I was famished. 

Such a fun experience, can't wait to do it again! 

No comments: