Sunday, January 13, 2013

Baton Rouge Beach Marathon Review

A post just about me! :) 

So about six weeks ago I ran in the Baton Rouge Beach Marathon. It was such a fun race, I highly recommend it to anyone. It was very well organized and the route is very pretty. You run through the LSU campus and around a small lake through a gorgeous neighborhood. It is a two-loop course, decently flat, and I was lucky enough to have Aaron bike the second 13.1 miles with me. It was SO wonderful to have him right there with me during the hardest miles of the race and as it is crowded the first lap it really thinned out the second lap after we lost the half marathoners. I have nothing but great things to say about this race. I felt great the whole time and had so much fun - really, I mean it. It was hotter than anticipated but since I train in Texas it wasn't such a horrible shock, just tried to get in more gatordae. 26.2 miles is never easy and getting to this point is so much work but it is so worth it. I just already can't wait to do it again. 

Here are a few shots of the action:


And here I am crossing the finish line. I was so lucky to have my parents drive up to be there. There is NO way this would have worked without them. They kept my kids so Aaron could bike with me and helped us so much. Plus they were right there at the finish line so I had a little cheer section. :) I couldn't help but cry when I got the medal, I LOVE that feeling of knowing you worked so hard for something. 


And as soon as I was done there was a little girl with her arms out waiting for me.





 It was fun to get an award. I got second in my age group (30-34) and 10th overall for females. 


Carson spent the whole time doing this, even though all morning he said, "I need to go watch Mommy race." Our hotel was just down the street from the start/finish line so it worked out perfect.


We all enjoyed the post-race grub of jambalaya, rice and beans, fried fish, fried chicken, fried everything. It was so delicious. Normally after a race I'm not that hungry immediately after. But that day I could not get enough fried food. For dinner I ordered the fried platter. 

Some worn out kiddos:


One of my friends that I run with dropped this off for me the night before I left. I loved it:


On Sunday we went to church next to the Baton Rouge Temple. It was very small but pretty. It was just a gorgeous day. Even hotter than Saturday so I was pretty lucky. 

I love all three of these pictures, couldn't choose just one. 




We had a great time visiting Louisiana for the first time. It is a fun place and the trip was great.

I enjoyed training for this race so much. First of all I only trained for about 7 weeks so this meant I didn't get burnt out and my friends were amazing. Waking up at 4:30 in the morning to run or bike along side me was just beyond nice. I never did a mile of one long run alone. And Aaron was so supportive of all the time and money it took and got me through those last few miles when I kept saying, "where is the finish line, why can't I see it yet!!??!!" Having Aaron be so busy with school and recruiting and studying was hard for me at first. He was having so much fun and making all these friends. I loved that I had something to work for too that was just mine ya know, something just for me. 


4 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

You are so dedicated to run all these marathons! My goal this year is to sign up for a 5k. That's my max :)

Laney said...

You are AWESOME! Very impressive.

ambyr said...

haley you ROCK!! I am so stinkin proud of you!!!! you just amaze me!! congrats and I'm hoping to get the running bug by next year! HA! we'll see!!! how fun to have your parents there!!

Christine said...

Wish I'd known you were racing in Baton Rouge. We just live an hour away. I would have come to cheer you on! congrats on your race and looking so fabulous