Thursday, December 9, 2010

What is he allergic too???

So I have posted a few times about our allergy problems with Carson. After a few trips to the doctor we decided that it was best to go ahead and go to an allergist. I had been against it but the bottom line is, if he is allergic to peanuts we need to have an epipen for emergencies. So the same allergist my pediatrician goes to is the one a friend recommended so I decided to go to him. Well I call and appointments are three months out! Are you freaking kidding me? But a partner in his office could see me in two months. So I make an appointment with the other doctor and wait. Well that was a little over two months ago, no major rashes but we are giving him Benadryl pretty much every night. The long awaited appointment arrives and I go to the doctor and I wait....and wait....and wait. Now I have waited at the OB trust me, for a long time, but Carson's pediatrician NEVER makes us wait. Finally after an hour and half I get into a room and then I wait for 30 more minutes people. If you have husbands in medical school, tell them to get into children's allergies. Finally the doctor comes in (no apologies of course) - oh and have I mentioned yet that you can not eat ANY food in the entire office, poor Carson is starving by this point as we are now into lunch time- and he talks to me for a few minutes, makes some notes, and that's it. He tells me to come back in one week for testing. What??? Well apparently Carson needed to be off Benadryl for one week before testing, didn't we get the info packet in the mail?No we did not. Aaron is irate calling the office telling them we aren't paying to come back...which we do end up paying. Finally they run tests which are really hard. My sweet boy had to lay on his stomach, without moving, for 20 mins and he did so good. My biggest fear in going to an allergist was that they would say he is allergic to like 10 things (which is common when you test this young) we had the exact opposite. His tests came back negative for everything we tested. I guess we'll never know what he's allergic to....sigh...because I don't think we'll be going back any time soon.

But the good part is that we haven't seen any major rashes in a couple of months and last week I found Carson sitting in his cousin's car seat reading the Ensign. :)

6 comments:

Aaron said...

That second charge will reversed. Mark my word!!

Miriam said...

Oh man, that sounds so rough!! And I can't believe you waited that long! Unbelievable. So, have I ever mentioned that Merritt is allergic to something too? He pretty much always has some sort of rash/irritation on his stomach, and frequently on the back of his knees/elbows. Right now I have a steriod cream that keeps it at bay, but the problem is still there. I don't know what to do! My pediatrician thinks his low weight is related to the allergy, but i just can't do the whole testing thing. But it would be nice to know...I think i'll probably get up the nerve here pretty soon, because I'm getting to the point where I want some answers! Ok, novel. sorry

Jen said...

Man. What an ordeal. It seems like there are only two types of doctors...amazing, fantastic people who take pride in providing the best possible care or unstoppable morons.
I really hope you get this figured out!

Lindy said...

I would be so furious and, more than that, so frustrated! I'm sorry!

Teri said...

Hi Haley! I love reading up on your beautiful family! I just read all about Carson's allergies. Our Jonathan (now 16) also had allergies. It took me 7 YEARS to figure out for myself what was wrong. I took him to pediatrician, family doctor, neurologist, psychiatrist, enurologist, all sorts of doctors. Finally I found a book titled "Is This Your Child?" That did it for us. That book described him to a "T". He had BEHAVIORAL allergies to peanuts, all dairy, and food coloring Red #40. I tested him for three weeks, and sure enough, he was allergic to these. He finally began to outgrow most of them, to where he can now have these items once a week and not have it affect him.

I have found that daily, red #40, and peanuts are just about in EVERYTHING. Carson's allergies seem to be more physical than behavioral, but just beware that even if something is manufactured in the same facility or machinery that uses whatever he's allergic to, it can cause a flare up. Red #40 is in just about everything - and it contrary to what we'd think, it doesn't have to be "red" in color in order to contain red #40. (weird, I know.) One time Jonathan was still having a reaction even after taking all the foods away from him that he was allergic to. I finally figured out it was our liquid HANDSOAP in the bathroom that contained MILK! Go figure! We stopped his use of it, and poof! allergy gone.

It is amazing what these kids can be allergic to these days. I would highly recommend that you do your own research online and follow your Mommy instincts. That will lead you down the right path better than any 'expert' can.

Hang in there. I KNOW it can be hard to do. But if you "nip it in the bud" you may well be able to 'save' him from having to live with these allergies the rest of his life, as I have learned that if you catch the allergies early on, there's a good chance that the child can "outgrow" them by the time they are around 15 or 16 yrs old. I know that sounds like a long was off still, but trust me, it's not. :)

Big hugs and best of luck with it!!!

(please tell your parents "hi!" from us too, when you see them next!)

The Berry Family said...

I need you to blog again! I miss seeing carson pics and hearing whats all going on at your home!!