Monday, July 6, 2009

One Week Later...

I still can't believe my sweet little boy was born a whole week ago. I was supposed to get induced today and I can't imagine not having a little baby. He is just the greatest, cutest thing in the whole world. :) Things are going well, I got to leave the hospital pretty quickly and am just resting and recovering. Luckily this usually just means holding Carson, starring at Carson, rocking Carson - and of course feeding him, ALL the time. He is a quite the eater (which he could've gotten from either Aaron or me). He looks just like Aaron to me and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so lucky that Aaron has had so much time off and my Mom and Dad came and have helped a ton.
So far Carson really loves his vibrating swing, being held on your chest, and Coldstone ice cream. Seriously, you should've seen this boy chow down after I ate that. :) I mean hey you've gotta give a baby what he wants right?? :) He is wearing preemie clothes and if it were up to me he would stay like this forever.
And a little more on the labor because I'm sure you're all dying to hear the whole story. I went to the doctor for my 39 week appointment. I was at a 3 but still hadn't had any contractions or anything so we mostly just talked about how I would be induced the following Monday. Then on the drive home at about the half way mark I had a contraction. I knew exactly what it was and it hurt. So I start timing they are about ten minutes apart and I call my mom (Aaron's cell phone is dead mind you). My mom tells me to turn around and come back so she can time them but I have no way to tell Aaron what is going on and my hospital bag was at my house and I thought ten minutes apart, I still have lots of time. Then about ten minutes from my house my water broke, my mom is freaking out that I'm driving during all of this. I tell her I will call my doctor, go home, wait for Aaron and leave as soon as he gets there. So I did just that and when Aaron made it home, about 15 or 20 minutes later, I threw bags at him, told him to get in the car that we were having a baby. At this point I'm 5 minutes apart. Of course we are leaving the house at 5:20, horrible traffic. Aaron is driving on shoulders on the highway, this is making me more nervous. Contractions are getting faster. Then we have no gas (I know it was crazy). So my mom met us on the highway, we jumped in her car and the Spitzers came and got our car, with Josie inside, and took it for us. By the time we got to the hospital it was about 6:45ish and my contractions are about 3 minutes apart. I got all checked in, signed a ton of forms, there was major confusion with my maiden name and finally resolved with this baby being called baby Carroll the whole time. (This did not make Aaron happy). Then they took me upstairs and it was epidural time. Oh epidural, how blessed you are. After that I was laughing, we started a show, life was great. Then shortly after that it was time to push. Then he was here at 10:15pm and he was so beautiful. I was lucky that my doctor was on call that night. Its amazing how you go through so much pain and all that but seriously after the baby is there you're like, oh it wasn't that bad. :) I remember saying several times, "I can't do this, I can't do this." but then on the way home from the hospital I was like, "I could do it again."

14 comments:

Rachelle said...

Carson is REALLY cute!

And happy late anniversary to you and Aaron...looks like you got the perfect gift!

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

YAY! More pictures!!! I am loving how tiny he is and his sweet little arms and legs. It's funny because the second I saw that first picture I thought how much he looked like Aaron. Thanks for the updated story. You gotta be careful with your 2nd one - that baby will be born in 5 minutes flat. :)

So glad you're doing well and your babe is eating. I've got some eaters too - sounds like our boys are like their mamas. :)

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

Oh my gosh he's changed so fast. He's ADORABLE. We can't wait to see him tomorrow. I'm glad you're recovering so well. You were definitely meant to have babies. :)

ps- I have pictures of Aaron with both my babies in that same position... sleeping. So cute.

Jalei & Lane said...

I'm glad that you only had to wait 20 minutes for Aaron to get home. I was thinking it was half a day! I have to say you handled everything well. With all of those obstacles, I know I would have been so stressed & probably cursing at everyone!

Kelsey Kamauu said...

wow haley! I am so glad you were able to have an epidural! :) I was a little concerned that didn't happen with what I read before :) It IS crazy that you can go through all that and turn around and say oh it wasn't that bad~! :) LOL that is exactly how I felt after having Lauren :) Oh Carson is a cutie! enjoy his little self and the chest cuddles - so fun :)

carly said...

Haley, I don't know how you kept your cool through all of that! So glad everything worked out so well. What a darling little boy you've got!

The Castletons said...

I still can't believe you guys are parents now!! so crazy! Well Jono and I are both happy everything went well and baby Carson is here. Miss you guys and congrats again!

Brooke said...

He is so sweet. At first glass I thought he looks most like Haley (and her baby pictures) but I can also see Aaron. A perfect combo of you two. Love the labor story - totally crazy! I'm so glad everything worked out and Carson is here safe and sound.

Haylee said...

Ok... he is adorable. Those eyes pearing up at me are just the sweetest thing ever. Also, by the way, that picture of you in the hospital looks like you are all ready for like a ball or something. Who looks that good after giving birth, what is up with that?

Christy said...

That is such a cool story. He is beautiful, absolutely darling. I am just trying to think of some good adjectives but he is so cute. We are really happy for you guys.

Miriam said...

BABY DRAMA!! Love it. I'm glad everything ended up well. I mean, you have a flipping ADORABLE baby. HE's seriously soo cute! I have to say, the first thing I thought when I saw that first picture was how much he looks like you! But now I can see Aaron, so he must be a perfect little combo. Oh, I think that first week is like a dream. It's so surreal almost. You are just in this fantasyland and so amazed at the baby, and so in love with them already, and the dynamics of your new little family is amazing. I love it. I am so beyond thrilled for you guys. We miss you!

Jen said...

I still can't believe this story. You two had a lot of close calls! (Way to go Jo, who clearly wanted to be part of the action and jumped in the car.)
The top picture with Carson is adorable. I can't believe how beautiful and big his eyes are. He is making me severely baby hungry.

Anonymous said...

Haley & Aaron...Carson is adorable. I can't believe how alert his eyes are. What a precious little baby you have. I can't believe your whole story of getting to the hospital...I would have freaked. I totally know the feeling of never wanting to do this again and then immediately saying right after, it wasn't that bad. I was begging for a c-section, but so glad I went through it all and didn't have one now. How big was he when he was born. I don't think I will ever have a baby in premie clothes. What a cute little family you have. I wish so much we could see each other again, and would love to meet Aaron and Carson sometime. Anyway, hope you all are doing well!

The Tidwell Blog said...

Haley! Hey! I am so excited for you guys! Little Carson is just adorable. I hope that everything went well. You look great and were just the cutest pregnant lady! I am glad that I found your blog address. I hope you don't mind. I saw it on facebook but here is ours if you want to take a look. I hope all is well in Texas. Keep in touch!

Katie Tidwell
kitidwell.blogspot.com