Monday, September 15, 2008

Needs Vs. Wants

So something Aaron has been trying to teach me since we got married is the difference between needs and wants. If I ever feel like I need something (clothing is a great example) Aaron asks me if I need new shoes or if I just want new shoes. Its a common occurrence around our house. So the other night we are sitting watching tv and a commercial comes on for this little number, the Colgate 360 tooth brush. Wow, this is a cool tooth brush, I think in my head. It has a brush on the back too so you can brush your tongue and cheeks. I go over it in my head- okay my current tooth brush is fine but this would really help me to better clean my tongue and cheeks. My mouth is important and I want to make sure it stays clean. And actually I'm saving us money by lowering the amount of dental work that I will need done because this will keep my mouth so much cleaner (Right? Right). I've got the argument all prepared in my head.

"Aaron" I say, clearing my throat, "I need that tooth brush."
"Oh really sweetie, you need that."
This was easy, I haven't even gone into my arguments. "Yes, I will use it all the time to better clean my cheeks and tongue, I'm so bad about that now but if I had THIS tooth brush I would do it."
"Oh really, are you sure about that?" (What's going on here...)
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Haley, you have that tooth brush."

Ha, ha... sure enough I do and I didn't even know it. I have started using it to better clean my whole mouth :)

Just a little look into what being married to me is like. Bless my sweet husband.

9 comments:

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

TOOOOO funny! Haley - that is seriously too much.

And so funny that this is what y'all do because pretty much I NEED everything - no wants, all needs.

My arguments always consist of eating out though. And it's kind of hard to explain to my man why eating out is a need.

Jalei & Lane said...

You nerd. That's funny!

Jen said...

Haley, I was laughing so hard reading this! You are too funny. I love that you "prepped" your arguement beforehand. :)

ambyr said...

oh my word, it's so late and I just read this and it made me laugh out loud!!! haley, I've missed you so....and glad that you're back in the homeland to make me laugh!!

The Berry Family said...

LOL...what a blonde moment.

BKC said...

So funny. We are still having the need vs. want conversation all the time. And it's always me getting the lecture :)

Miriam said...

PS. I'm obsessed with that toothbrush. I bought another cheaper brand once just to see, and I quickly realized that there was nothing out there to rival the 360. I've had to learn a lot about need vs. want too...
We've missed you! Especially with you slacking on your blog. You look so pretty in your pictures. I mean, you always look pretty, but you look especially pretty in the pics. I have so much I want to talk to you about. Hey and PS. Is the Elder (Derik?) Spitzer's waterslide?? Is he home? He is, right?
Love you!

The Castletons said...

Ok, 1. Haley, I feel your pain with the whole needs vs. wants speeches.
2. Jono and I could totally picture you guys having this conversation. haha.

We miss you guys! And give Jo a hug for us!

carly said...

hahaha I love this story!