Friday, September 10, 2010

Just call me Martha

So do you think nesting can rub off on people?? My friend, Andrea, is 30+ weeks pregnant and really nesting and I think it rubbed off on me. She was at my house talking about getting the nursery painted and all set up and mentioned that they were going to donate their second bedroom furniture and we said, "we'll take it." Now I know I have never accurately described the current state of our bedroom. Well I would use the word pitiful but that seems a little strong since we do actually own a bed, so I will say...bare oh and I must add unorganized. Our bed sits on the floor, we have no furniture in our bedroom. We used to keep our clothes in piles on the floor (since we have no dresser) until Josie started sleeping on it. So I moved my craft and scrapbooking shelves into our room and that's where we've kept our clothes.
Next problem, Aaron. Aaron has many wonderful and fabulous qualities but one of them is not organization or throwing things away. He keeps EVERYTHING and doesn't ever really find a place to put it. So it usually ends up in a big pile next to his side of the bed. It drives me crazy but Aaron always says, "let me have this one place in the whole house." That's tough to argue with but also this pile is difficult to sleep in the same room as. Add the pile of books and every talk Aaron has ever read and it was starting to wear on me.
Enter the new furniture. Now I did not take a before picture of this furniture but let me give you a brief description. Remember the shiny laminate particle board furniture phase? Probably not because it was before your time but I'm sure you have seen some of it. It was that with the gold lining. I don't think I am hurting Devin and Andrea's feelings when I say that while the furniture was in excellent condition it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing. So after spending some serious time on google and many of those do-it-yourself blogs I decided that I could fix them up some. I sanded, primed, and painted the dresser and two night stands all by myself. This was my project while Aaron was out of town last week. I worked on it every night after Carson went to sleep. I love the color and I wish I would've gotten a glossier finish paint I am pretty pleased with how they turned out. I really wanted to rip off the handles and put new ones on but the two Lowe's workers convinced me that I would ruin the drawers. (After the first one said no I set out for a second opinion because I really, really wanted new handles)
(Not a great picture, not sure why its spotting. Trust me the whole dresser is painted)

Well the new furniture caused me to go into a major state of nesting, at least that's what I'm calling it. I moved the shelves back into their home in the office, which meant I needed to move stuff around in the office and organize the office closet.
Then I thought well I need to move some stuff from Carson's closet in here so I organized Carson's closet and put up a curtain in his room. (I hung it all by myself and used a power tool in the process :)
Then since I was working on the bedroom I moved the plastic drawers into the closet and organized the whole closet.
I had to move some stuff upstairs so I organized the upstairs closet and all the holiday stuff.

Then I thought while I was at it I would work on the laundry room. (Which reminded me that we need more toilet paper)
Phew and then I was done and very happy and I only had to purchase 3 storage bins. Maybe Aaron should go out of town more often...just kidding, I hate for Aaron to go out of town.

And the best part of the room is this compromise. I found an extra basket that we weren't really using in the laundry room and Aaron is free to fill it with whatever he wants and at least it looks better inside a basket right?? Well I may have taken it too far when I said he could put whatever he wanted in there because he has put clothes in there that he doesn't feel like putting away and yesterday I found candy. Marriage is all about compromises. :)

*Note I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about our bedroom furniture. Really our bedroom has just always been the least of priorities. We worked on our office, living room, upstairs, and Caron's rooms first. I know we'll get around to finishing up our bedroom eventually.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Um, I will TOTALLY Call you Martha. Holy organization - I LOVE it. My house is crazy. Boxes still need to be unpacked, pictures, hung, but I save it all for Logan because I'm too lazy I think, which means it doesn't get done because I see the guy maybe an hour each day (be SOOO glad Aaron didn't go into medicine). That and power tools make me nervous. But you have given me insipration. I think I might get up and go tackle ironing or something manageable for me. And then sit down and eat Blue Bell.

(And how I can relate to Aaron's corner, with Logan. That boy and his med papers everywhere. He used the same argument "Let me have my one space" but his one space turns into 5 and then I just pile it up, place it on his bed, and say go through this tonight, or it's getting thrown away." I need to get a basket. THat's a good idea ;).

ANyways, way to go girl tackling stuff on your own. I'm so impressed and inspired! Really.

Laney said...

this post made me feel like the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Each thing led you to another :) Everything looks so good! Cory actually is not a pile maker. He more takes my things and puts them in obscure places to "clean up." Hey, for our bed in Utah we got a cheap metal bed frame at Goodwill (well, D.I.) for like $10-15. Just to raise it off the ground.

Kari said...

Martha, please come organize my house!! Aaron's pile is funny. It reminded me of Matt, but I have to say Matt is worse. You should see his nightstand.

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

Wow, good for you! You've inspired me to clean our closet. I unpacked and organized the entire house... but our closet. It always seems to be the last thing to get cleaned, but it feels good. So... thanks for the inspiration. You're house looks great... at least from what the pictures show. :)

Andrea said...

I'm SO impressed that you got all this done while Aaron was gone! I need to be inspired for Devin's trip next week!

I'm also glad that me being 30+ weeks pregnant can have a positive affect on someone! I don't think my husband or daughter are reaping the same rewards!! :) haha...

Also... I can't believe how great you made that furniture look! I seriously thought it was hopeless! I am so so impressed with your Martha skills. I can't wait to see it in person.

Christine said...

I totally relate to your bedroom furniture being low on your list. We still have furniture that we got from the side of the dumpster from our Arlington apartment 8 years ago:) the rest of the house has real furniture.

all your home improvements are very impressive! great job.

Jen said...

Love it. There's nothing better than organizing an area or getting new stuff to organize with.
You made that furniture look awesome by the way!