Monday, March 15, 2010

Time to grow up?

So I should begin this post by explaining that I don't do much shopping. Don't get me wrong I love clothes and I love having cute clothes but ever since I've been married there has always been something more important to do with our money. We're always saving for one reason or another and I guess you could say my priorities have changed because if I do get new clothes they are for running not going out. Now I don't bring this up so people will feel sorry for me or to complain because that's not it at all, its just background so you understand why I haven't been shopping in a few years. So before I got married (which is when I used to shop like...a lot) I got my clothes from the young adult girl section (the high school section I call it). I shopped at stores like H&M and Forever 21 and similar stores of the same genre. Well for Valentine's Day my Mom told me she would let me pick out a dress as a present from her. Wow, I'm so excited. I know for a fact I haven't gotten a dress in a long time. So with great excitement and anticipation I head out for the mall. The mall, wow I hadn't been there in a long time. I drag Aaron along for the fun, pack Carson up in the stroller and we are so mall shoppers. I head straight to the mother ship, Nordstroms. I quickly begin browsing the B&P section, what? nothing. I mean nothing is going to work. It all looks so young, not to mention short. I keep going surely there will be something. Nope, nope, nope. So I head over to the Women's section, nope, nope, nope. It all looked too old, or too expensive. Well, same story, different verse in every other store. All those younger stores just looked so young to me. I mean I am 27, is it time to move up to the women's section?? Have I outgrown those younger stores?? I'm not sure if its because I'm a mom or because I'm getting older or just because I've been out of the game for a few years and maybe style has just changed. The dress thing just wasn't working out, I couldn't find anything at Target, Wal-mart, Ross, you name it. But I found the same problem in those stores too. Where do you shop? When did you transition over? Is it just more expensive to shop in the women's section? I'm just not sure where to go, maybe I should just make due with my current wardrobe until my 30's. :)

8 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

This is so hard! I like clothes from Anthroplogie, but they are so expensive, so I rarely get to buy anything. Check out JCrew, I got some cute things from there back in November. But when I usually shop, it's at Old Navy or Target. Yep, I just bought 4 pairs of shorts & a long dress(I have to get a sweater to wear over it) from Old Navy. I try to get basics that I can spice up myself with accessories, however I usually don't:)

Jamie Boyd said...

I like Maurices. They seem to be a little more in between. Mature without looking old-ladyish, and not terribly expensive. I don't know if they have Maurices there though? I have a really hard time finding suitable clothing right now too. JCPenney sometimes has good clothing for 20-somthings too, especially dresses.

Jen said...

So true! I do nearly ALL of my shopping online through the clearance sections of various stores, but I don't have one favorite one.

P.S. I remember you blogging a while back about Carson having a 5 am feeding and how you eventually resolved it. Out of the blue, Leila has been insisting on a 4 am nursing session for the past few weeks. Anyway, do you have any tips/tricks on how you resolved it? 4am is not a pretty time of day. :)

Pierce and Stacy said...

Haha, that's so funny. I don't go shopping that much for clothes either, probably because I don't like to try things on and not have them fit... but you don't have that problem.

:) Good luck!

Melissa said...

Ann Taylor Loft is my favorite! The clothes aren't crazy expensive but they aren't cheap either but if you sign up for email promotions they have deals all the time!

Good luck and we may be moving closer to you so we will need to hang out more! Not that we live very far right now...

allirasmussen@gmail.com said...

ha ha ha that is so funny...this past week was spring break and i had saved up some 'shopping' money as i also haven't shopped in a few years...same story! it was hard to find anything i even wanted! i guess we are getting 'older' ;)

Anonymous said...

what about banana republic? it's hit or miss there. sometimes too businessey, other times great finds. totally know what your mean...

annie lane @ sisters with flair said...

I totally can't find clothes either! Especially church clothes. I totally remember trying to grow up but hating old lady clothes. What's a girl to do? I love ann taylor loft & anthropologie though. I've found cute stuff at Nordstrom's rack too. Good luck!
-andrea